Tuesday, November 18, 2008

They Don't Even Know They Do It

On a board I know longer have the patience to frequent, for the umpteenth time a believer brazenly asserted that Einstein was a theist and that it was part of the poster's world view that anyone disagreeing with the believer disagreed with Einstein too. "God does not play dice","I want to know the mind of God.", etc. Despite evidence to the contrary: "I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings"(a great article here) It is no more to the point than when I use the name of Jesus Christ with 'tap-dancing' in the middle when I'm really angry that I would be a hot-steppin' Christian.

If that isn't enough proof here are Einstein's own words: "It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

I wish the believers, fundies and religiots would step off and stop trying to co-opt the people doing the heavy thinking to support their particular imaginary friend.

No comments: