Saturday, November 15, 2008

Darwin At Work

Had a conversation with a fellow that used to do some web based work for me. I enquired about his wife and he mentioned she was not feeling well and hadn't been for some time. When asked what the doctors said he told me "We don't do doctors. There's a church we need to go to in Georgia for some healing. My wife has some issues to deal with."

A few months ago I would have been all over this guy but this time I just didn't have the energy. His type of nonsense is terminal and I chose at that moment to let science/doctors/reality take its course without any intervention from me. They're adults. If they want to believe illness is a result of sin let them and then let natural selection do its happy work.

But what if these two religiots had children? Don't know if they did but if so it is hard for me to imagine not speaking out. What has been bothering me is the obvious double standard I harbor. We find it easy to let people do stupid and ignorant things simply because they are an adult but fight for children that cannot make those informed choices. Do the choices we make allow us to be seen as less valuable as we mature?

No comments: